Resolving Legal Issues For Galleries And Collectors
The Hoffman Law Firm has advised collectors, galleries and museums involving a range of legal issues. This includes all variety of art law issues, from authenticity to good title and the creation of restricted gifts or the naming of buildings and galleries. Attorney Barbara T. Hoffman has experience negotiating multimillion-dollar deals for dealers and collectors.
Galleries are key players in the art market. The firm acts as adviser to numerous galleries on behalf of their artists. With rare exception, the firm does not represent galleries in disputes with artists. Instead, the firm counsels galleries on the full gamut of issues, including:
- Authenticity issues and title
- Private and public commissions and site specific installations
- Deals in the secondary market
- Print portfolios
- Traveling exhibitions, art fairs and collaborations
- International Loans
- Private sales and auctions
- Insurance issues
She also represents community-based galleries and performance art groups in matters related to obtaining tax-exempt status and other art law issues.
The firm has advised collector clients on all legal matters related to the acquisition, retention and disposition of art and antiquities with a focus on cross-border transactions.
Attorney Barbara T. Hoffman has counseled collectors in:
- Brokerage of sophisticated and complex international and domestic secondary market sales
- The sale/gift of archives to museums
- Donations and/or sale with conditions of major photography, art collections and archives to museums and universities
- Gallery and auction appraisal and consignment agreements
- Loan forms
- The establishment of sculpture parks and private museums
- Estate planning for art assets in the estate
- Contracts with vendors of art-related services
Call 212-873-6200 or email us to discuss your concerns with our art lawyer. Attorney Barbara T. Hoffman represents clients worldwide from her firm in New York City.